Amy Winehouse died of alcohol poisoning

The coroner’s report on Amy Winehouse is finally out, and it confirms that the diminutive singer drank herself to death. Her blood alcohol level was five times the legal limit when she died on July 23, 2011. Yesterday, in a British court, coroner Suzanne Greenaway described Amy’s passing at age 27 as “Death by misadventure.” She went on to explain: “The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels [of alcohol] was her sudden and unexpected death.” Winehouse’s M.D., Dr. Christina Romete, confirmed that Amy had been warned about the potential consequences of continued alcohol abuse, and verified that her patient been sober for a long stretch before she “resumed drinking” just a day before she died. Although three empty vodka bottles were found near Winehouse’s body, her bodyguard, who was the last to see her alive, said she hadn’t seemed drunk on the night before her death and was “laughing, listening to music and watching TV.” She’d also told him about her “big plans for the weekend.” Winehouse family spokesman Chris Goodman released a statement from Amy’s parents, Mitch and Janet, that read: “It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy. It means a lot to us, and from the overwhelming messages of support we have had since Amy died, we know she meant a great deal to people all over the world.”

Share this article:

Comments & Discussion

  1. Rita • October 27, 2011 @ 2:08 AM

    Its amazing that some people get experts to tell us something, that some of us knew already!! I read people’s comments in forums and we could tell by what the media was saying, that she drank way too much alcolol. Her body couldn’t handle it.

  2. Rita • October 27, 2011 @ 2:27 AM

    The world feels empty without her!

  3. David • October 27, 2011 @ 9:51 AM

    I never really noticed before but she had a nice rack….on her arm.

  4. brian • October 28, 2011 @ 8:52 PM

    For sure, the cause of death sounds what we had likely suspected, but it needed to be confirmed by evidence.

  5. Jo-Anne • October 31, 2011 @ 9:37 PM

    exactly, Brian. such a waste to lose any life to alcohol/drug abuse…

  6. Liz • November 5, 2011 @ 9:06 PM

    Such a waste, so, so tragic! I feel for Amy’s parents and friends.

Join The Conversation:

Similar Articles

Trending Articles

Current Poll

  • What’s your favorite scary movie toy?

    View Results

    Loading ... Loading ...

You Might Also Like


Close Menu