John Lennon’s killer up for parole
By Tribute News on August 22, 2014 | 2 Comments
John Lennon's murderer is up for parole this week. Mark Chapman - who is serving a 20 year-to-life sentence at Wende Correctional Facility in New York - was interviewed by prison officials a few days ago in his eighth application for freedom since shooting the Beatles legend in December 1980 and a decision could be made as early as today, according to the New York Daily News. Despite having had a clean prison record since 1994, Chapman is not expected to be released as in the past the parole board has said his release would ''undermine respect for the law.'' The "Imagine" singer's widow, Yoko Ono, has submitted a letter to the parole board to reaffirm her previous statements that Chapman's release would leave her and her sons fearful and warned the killer would be at risk of being attacked by Beatles fans. If denied release, Chapman - who is kept in protective custody against his will - will have to wait two years to be eligible again. He works as an administrative clerk in jail and is allowed conjugal visits with wife Gloria Chapman. He has previously said he has found Jesus behind bars and is willing to stay in jail to pay for his crime ''however long it takes, forever.''