Why Forrest Gump‘s sequel was canned

Tom Hanks as Forrest GumpAfter the enormous success of Forrest Gump, a sequel was planned called Gump and Co. but it never saw the light of day, even though a script had been written. Screenwriter Eric Roth told Slashfilm that it was canned after 9/11, saying, “I turned in my version of the Forrest Gump sequel, or Part II, whatever you call it… It’s a continuation really — I want to start the movie literally two minutes after the end of the last one, with him on the bus bench waiting for his son to get home from school. But I turned in the script the night before 9/11. And we sat down, Tom [Hanks] and Bob [Zemeckis] and I, looked at each other and said, we don’t think this is relevant anymore. The world had changed. Now time has obviously passed, but maybe some things should just be one thing and left as they are.”

Share this article:

Comments & Discussion

  1. Cpt. Janeway • December 9, 2008 @ 2:06 PM

    Thank god they didn’t…!

Join The Conversation:

Trending Articles

Current Poll

  • Which is your favorite Star Wars duo?

    View Results

    Loading ... Loading ...

You Might Also Like


Close Menu